- Role Overview
- Career Pathway
- Training Hub Offers
- Useful Documents
- Useful Links to other Websites
- Useful Contacts
Health and wellbeing coaches predominately use health coaching skills to support people with lower levels of patient activation to develop the knowledge, skills, and confidence to manage their health and wellbeing, whilst increasing their ability to access and utilise community support offers. They may also provide access to self-management education, peer support, and social prescribing.
Health and wellbeing coaches will take an approach that considers the whole person in addressing existing issues and encourages proactive prevention of new and existing illnesses. They will take an approach that is non-judgemental, based on strong communication and negotiation skills, that supports personal choice and positive risk taking, that addresses potential consequences, and ensures patients understand the accountability of their own decisions.
Health and wellbeing coaches will:
- Coach and motivate patients through multiple sessions to identify their needs, set goals, and support them to implement their personalised health and care plan.
- Provide personalised support to individuals, their families and carers to ensure that they are active participants in their own healthcare; empowering them to take more control in manging their own health and wellbeing, to live independently, and improve their health outcomes through:
- providing interventions such as self-management education and peer support; and
- supporting people to establish and attain goals set by the person based on what is important to them, building on goals that are important to the individual; and
- working with the social prescribing service to connect them to community-based activities which support their health and wellbeing
- Provide support to local community groups and work with other health, social care and voluntary sector providers to support the patients’ health and well-being holistically.
- Ensure that fellow PCN staff are made aware of health coaching and social prescribing services and support colleagues to improve their skills and understanding of personalised care, behavioural approaches, and ensuring consistency in the follow up of people’s goals where an MDT is involved.
- Raise awareness within the PCN of shared decision making and decision support tools and supporting people in shared decision-making conversations.
- Work with people with lower activation to understand their level of knowledge, skills and confidence (their “Activation” level) when engaging with their health and wellbeing.
- Explore and support access to a personal health budget, where appropriate, for their care and support.
- Utilise existing IT and MDT channels to screen patients, with an aim to identify those that would benefit from health coaching
- The Personalised Care Institute (live from April 2020) will set out what training is available and expected for Health coaching link workers.
- Health coaching link workers will be required to be trained in health coaching in line with the NHS England and NHS Improvement summary guide (document currently in development, and subject to discussion with GPC England). This is likely to include understanding the basics of social prescribing, plus 4-day health coaching training with regular supervision from health coaching mentor.
A Health Coach can be from a Clinical or Non-Clinical background, however experience working in a Health and Social environment is essential
E.g. Receptionist/HCA – MDT Coordinator/Care Coordinator – Health Coach
Free PCI approved health coaching training course for new HWBC roles across Black Country
The training is free to all those across the Black Country who will be employed by the start date of Jan 11th 2021 up to a maximum of 15 places.
Please note that this is not refresher training but for those new to role and have not yet undergone any training.
The training dates are as follows and will be delivered by Undivided Training who are experienced in delivering health coach training;
- Jan 11th registration from 9.15am for a 9.30am start, till 1pm
- Jan 12th registration from 9.15am for a 9.30am start, till 12.30pm
- Jan 25th registration from 9.15am for a 9.30am start, till 12.30pm
- Jan 27th registration from 9.15am for a 9.30am start, till 12.30pm
As it is an online course, attendees must have access to a computer with a working microphone and camera and will be required to attend all 4 sessions.
2020/21 Maximum Annual Reimbursement Rates
- Role: Health and Wellbeing Coach
- AfC Band: up to 5
- Maximum Reimbursable amount over 12 months (with on costs): £35,389 (up to indicative Agenda for Change band 5)
The link below provides information of Training Providers who are approved to deliver training by the PCI and awaiting accreditation:
Please click the link below to gain access to an amendable Health and Wellbeing Coach Job Description and Person Specification:
To view the minimim role requirements for the Health and Wellbeign Coach role, please click link below
Please click the link below to view the Personalised Care Operating Model:
Please click the link below to view a video about Personalised Care in the Black Country
Health and Wellbeing Coach Ambassador: Pending